Saturday, January 7, 2012

Day 7: Make a kid smile

Well, it's been a week! I'm not sure if this will get more difficult but it's not been as difficult keeping up with these acts of kindness (I thought it would be hard to find the time, ideas, cant spend money on every act, etc) All of these acts absolutely have been presenting themselves, and then some!

Today we went to Sea Life at the Mall of America. It was incredible looking at all the tropical fish, starfish, sea turtles, SHARKS! The way I think is visually and all I could imagine (my mind goes in overdrive) is that while walking under the aquarium surrounding me - what if it caves in?!?! Lol. That's a lot of water and lots of teeth those sharks tote around...

So. There was a girl in a wheel chair with her parents. I remember breaking my leg and it wasn't fun trying to get around. I can't imagine being a kid and having a broken leg...

I watched them closely as they shopped around at the end. They picked up a stuffed turtle and I sidled up beside them to check the price ( I was thinking in my head - I want to get her this turtle but I have to be realistic about my finances too. Haha)

The father walks up to the register with it and the price fleets out of my head. I grab the turtle out of his hands - he looks at me in shock - I grin and say - "I'm paying something forward, I'm getting her this turtle"

His jaw dropped. I could hear the mother ask her daughter "What did you say?! What did you do?!?" and the daughter responded "I didn't do or say anything!!l" (haha)

I settled up with the cashier, grabbed the turtle (and a bracelet that those marketing genius put at the front for suckers like me) kneeled to her level, handed her the loot and said "Have great rest of the day" whilst grinning. She looked at me square in the eyes and with the most genuine serious yet sweet smile and said " Thank you SO much!" and looked at her mom astonished.

Result: A kids smile is priceless. And sea turtles are totally cool.

0 comments:

Post a Comment