Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day 18: Appreciate the Under-appreciated

Since I come in later for work, I leave later at the end of the day. Most people like the light of day when they get off work, I don't mind the darkness. I've always been a night owl.

I've come to know the custodians that come in after most everyone leaves. I definitely don't think custodians are appreciated enough. They work hard. Not saying we all don't, but they do work that most people wouldn't want to do.

And so tonight, as I passed by with my normal banter and conversation with the custodian, I grinned and told him I had a card for him. The look on his face was priceless. He looked surprised and joyful! "For me?!" he exclaimed. I said "Yep! For you!"

Inside I wrote that I was thankful for him.

Result: I could tell that he couldn't believe I, one of several employees that he comes across with, would give him a card out of the blue. And I know he will appreciate knowing he's appreciated. And that's what matters.

0 comments:

Post a Comment