Monday, February 27, 2012

Day 58: Write a letter to someone who has made a difference in your life

This act was an emotional one. This one has been on my list, and I knew who I would send it to, but I also knew it would open up a lot of emotion -so, I waited. :-/

I wrote a letter to my Grandpa tonight. My grandmother and him raised us four kids for the majority of our childhood. I've never told him how much they both meant to me, and I'll never get the chance to tell my grandmother. She passed away two months after I graduated high school.

My grandmother was the mother I never had. She had the warmest hugs. She'd tell us kids that the freckles on our faces were angel kisses. She'd make the best gravy, and no one could make fried okra as good as her. But mostly, she loved us unconditionally and I knew what it meant to be a family because of her.

My grandpa is a man of integrity. And he expects you to have it too. You always felt protected around him. I cherish the memories of fishing with him, filleting the fish, shaking the fish in the secret fish batter and standing around the fryer while he fried the fish and hush puppies.

I know many of you knew my grandma and grandpa - and those that do, are lucky.

So, a letter was written to Grandpa. And my silent memories churning in my heart sent up to my Grandma.

Never too late to tell the people in your life that have made a difference that you're thankful. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment