Thursday, March 1, 2012

Day 61: Save a life

This topic isn't often discussed. In fact, it's almost taboo and sometimes minimized because people just can't deal with the reality of it.

However, it happens. Suicide. And while it's an ugly word, it takes beautiful lives from us. And that's just not ok.

I was taught a huge lesson last year - one that I won't ever forget. That lesson was ensuring that every single person that crossed my path will know that they matter - no. matter. what.

A couple of months ago that lesson came into play. I saw someone I didn't know personally, struggling. Without hesitation, I let this person know that they mattered. I could tell that there was an apparent cry for help and it wasn't a joke.

Err on the side of caution and always, always take a cry for help seriously.

A couple of weeks later, I received a note from this person expressing gratitude for simply caring. That my words of encouragement and kindness helped them in their darkest moment.

One earnest gesture. Word. Thought. Prayer. Hug. Could AND Can save a life.

Today I honor a very special man who taught me this important lesson.

Don't shy away from those that need help, support or love. They may share their darkest sorrow. They may just need a shoulder or body to lean on. Be there for them.

Every person matters in this world. And that means YOU.<3

http://www.save.org/

0 comments:

Post a Comment