Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Day 242: A lesson on beauty

Today I had lunch with my friend Alison. It was nice to catch up and to spend time with her. While we were sitting outside and Alison chatted, I couldn't help but be distracted by this young woman at another table.

She intrigued me. I kept observing her and noticed how much effort she put in her outer appearance. She was dressed impeccably, her hair pulled up to perfection, her make up done to the nines. I watched her smile, completely carefree.

You would have never noticed that she was in a wheelchair.

The past couple of months I have been sensitive to people making comments on my appearance due to my pregnancy. "You're huge!" or "You're SO big!" (YES. People really DO make comments like this) It's really made me realize how much judgement people make on another persons appearance. We feel it's ok to share negative or rude comments, as if it's warranted, justified or needed to be spoken.

I was completely blown away by this young woman. She seemed to ooze this sense of confidence, self-worth...and like she knew the secret to happiness. She certainly didn't let the fact that she was in a wheelchair limit her. That was obvious.

I went up to her and told her that she was beautiful. I didn't do it to just be nice or because she was in a wheelchair. I did it because she was a woman, and she taught me an excellent life lesson today. No matter what others may perceive as a limitation or hindrance on "beauty"- doesn't mean we have to agree with it or even put up with it.




0 comments:

Post a Comment